Saturday, July 25, 2009

Criminal Conversation



Last week I got a chance to check out the works of Yinka Shonibare at the Brooklyn Museum. Anyone who knows me knows that I am sucker for Victorian turn-of-the century garments and that it plays a huge role in my current work and even in my lifestyle. Yinka makes a whole statement about Dutch wax fabric and that period and what it represented then and even now. He does an interesting play on this idea and the outcome is nothing short of clever and ironic (not in the dull over-saturized sense of the word but rather in a literal straight forward "hitting nail on the head" sense.) The naughty "Gallantry and Criminal Conservation" piece is vibrant, sexual and just completely engaging. Bravo! Now that was a 10 bucks well spent!
Showing until Sept 20th.