Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What's for dinner tonight?

Style obsessed, vintage scavenger, and travel addict, you can also add petite cuisinier to my repertoire.  In my efforts to save a bit of cash, I have been cooking every night this week. I often cook and actually enjoy doing it but I have been over doing the takeout lately and want to reaquaint myself with the kitchen. Having just returned from Argentina and with the recent purchase a ticket to Paris,  I think its about time that I tighten the purse strings a bit. This week I prepared lamb & curry potatos, shrimp udon, beef chilli, and salmon & bok choy. Each time I was in and out of the kitchen within an hour and enjoyed my culinary experience.  Here is what happened with the Salmon & Bok Choy:
What I used:
1lb salmon fillet
1lb baby bok choy
White Vinegar
Olive Oil
Garlic
1 lemon
Sea Salt
Fresh black pepper
Red Onion

Rinse the salmon in vinegar and squeeze over 1/2 lemon...*I like to do this to kill the fishy smell.
Coat a baking pan with a teaspoon of Olive oil and place fillet on the pan
Season with sea salt & black pepper
Cover compeltely with whole garlic cloves. *peel and smash cloves...do not chop.
Layer on thinnly sliced red onion

Cover in foil and bake for apprx 45 minutes (my oven is old and gets really hot so I set to 375)

*After 30 minutes remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes

Throughly rinse bok choy. Break the clusters apart as you rinse.

Coat the base of a frying pan/pot with olive oil. Heat slighty.
Add in about 4-5 cloves of finely chopped garlic

Let simmer for about 30 seconds before adding the bok choy.
Immedaitly add 2nd half of lemon. Squeeze over.
Let simmer and constantly stir until bok choy appears soft and saturated.

Add salt to taste.
A glass or red wine and you are set.

Note* I like to save the lemon rines to wipe down the surface after I have finshed cooking. This is a natural way to kill the lingering smell that fish, garlic, and onions can leave on surfaces.

No comments: